Our wines03

03Our wines

“Do little to do better”: a tradition which translates into quality.

Tunella vineyards account for 70 hectares, all located in the DOC area, 70% are devoted to growing white grapes and the remaining 30% to red grapes. This proportion reflects the tradition of the Colli Orientali del Friuli as the par excellence land of great white wines. Our vine training systems are the traditional French guyot and the single-arched cane. The average vine density is 4,500/5,000 plants per hectare. Yield is limited to 75/90 quintals per hectare, to enhance the quality of the grapes.

Our range of wines includes classic whites and reds, native wines, blends, passito wines, and varietal crus – the result of a continuous improvement process both in the vineyard and in the winery, aimed at enhancing the premium native vines planted in the ‘80s, such as the three crus, Colmatìss Sauvignon, Coldebliss Ribolla Gialla, and Colbajè Pinot Grigio. They all well represent La Tunella’s guiding principle: the active remembrance of the old traditions, being fully aware of their value.

Classic Whites

Wines made from international single grape varieties, vinified in stainless steel tanks aiming to respect and enhance each variety’s elegance and finesse. The new vintages are released in the spring following the harvest.

White Cru

The grapes in our single vineyard wines come from three small distinct plots located in Cividale del Friuli from vines planted in the 80s. Strictly following the Friulian winemaking tradition, the must obtained after a gentle crushing undergoes fermentation and ages sur lie in big Slavonian oak barrels with frequent bâtonnage. Each new vintage is released on the market at least one year after harvesting.

White Native Blend

Biancosesto is made from a selection of only the best grapes of two great native varieties: Friulano and Ribolla Gialla. Following a brief, cold maceration it undergoes fermentation and sur lie aging in big Slavonian oak barrels, with frequent bâtonnage”. Each new vintage is released on the market at least a year after harvesting.

Classic Reds

Four classic renowned international varieties of outstanding quality. All our classic four reds age in big French oak barrels and are released on the market at the beginning of the spring a year and a half after harvesting.

Reds Cru

These wines are considered the highest expression of this winegrowing area. Our Schioppettino and Pignolo age in French oak tonneaux and are respectively released on the market after two and five years after the harvest.

Red Native Blend

L’Arcione, made from only the best grapes, carefully sorted, of two red native varieties (Pignolo and Schioppettino), has a bold character and structure destined to feature its best along time. Aged in French oak tonneaux, it is released on the market about four years after harvesting.

Passito Wines

Alongside our two native varieties, Verduzzo Friulano and Picolit, aged in French oak barriques, there is Noans, our intensely aromatic and freshly elegant blend made from Riesling Renano, Traminer Aromatico and Sauvignon which is vinified in stainless steel tanks. Verduzzo Friulano and Noans are released in the beginning of spring a year and a half after harvesting; while our Picolit is available on the market at least three years after harvesting.